Friday, September 4, 2009

I swallowed my dignity and killed my hunger

I am a student of Third Year M.B;B.S and I am currently posted in the Ophthalmology(i.e. Eye) dept. for my clinicals. Now, this O.P.D. sees a lot of elderly people coming in for cataract-related troubles.
Cataract is a degenerative disorder of the lens in the eye that progressively dims vision and is common in old age. So we have these aged persons walking in daily, who are having trouble seeing clearly, and along with that a host of other debilitating illnesses that render them slow and hard of hearing. And then they are scared...for one, of the world around that suddenly seems to spin too fast, and secondly, like most, of being in a hospital.
To get their eyes examined they have to sit at a couple of instruments/machines that help better illuminate and magnify the eye for the doctor. Most have never been to an eye O.P.D. before and are naturally confused with what they have to do: where to sit, how to place their heads,what and where to see...and they are invariably curtly told off by the resident doctors for not understanding, for being 'confused'...These are not erring kids. They are persons who have known, perhaps created the ways of the world. They just need a little help. And they are trying to get it by causing the slightest possible discomfort to the doctors.
The doctors are over-worked, under-paid and impatient. I get that. But is it the patient's fault?
Or do they just get some kind of awful kick out of berating persons who they know will not retaliate?
The patients are old, they need assistance at times, sometimes a louder repetition, a softer reassurance. Shouldn't they be used to that by now?
Why instead do they chose to get used to their own impatience?

2 comments:

Ketan said...

Hi Agien!

This was an interesting post!

I think, the reasons people get impatient and end up behaving insolently are both that you've speculated.

When I was into my internship, I'd never shouted on any patiens despite being overworked on few occasions, because I too would think that it's not patients' fault. But then, my friends consider me excessively tolerant and composed even otherwise! Some have come to think of me as totally emotionless!

Basically, what I'm trying to say (and you probably even know) is everyone has different tolerance levels. However much we like to believe otherwise, not all our emotions are totally under our control, if they'd be, they'd stop being emotions!

Also, one more principle that works here is of familiarity breeds contempt. After seeing countless patients suffering from exactly the same disorders, it's possible to lose sympathy.

And yes, of course, some people are indeed outrightly sadistic--feeling significant only upon seeing others as insignificant.

I'm not justifying what miffed you, just trying to put things better in perspective, so that you can understand your residents' situation better.

TC.

Agien said...

Hey Ketan!
Welcome here..
Thanks for your take on the post.
I agree tolerance in the face of repeated stimuli is difficult, but it is also the only way to it.
And I believe for a doctor, to be collected at all times is most imperative-for correct diagnosis as well as patient care.
But, the easier route out is always most treaded...
Maybe, it is a defence mechanism...anger is an easy disguise for so many bitter emotions.
Maybe, I need to be in their shoes to understand why...:)